Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.
This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.
创建者 Calista L•
The content is really interesting but i think the lectures will be more enjoyable if the lecturer is not so stiff at explaining things
But overall, having completed this course, I now have some basic knowledge about game design, which is really beneficial
创建者 Simone D S•
The course is interesting.
The peer-review assigment and grading system is the weak park of this course : you are asked to do a prototype in one week that must be reviewed "pretty epic" from the other students for the highest grade.
创建者 Chanchana S•
Nice abstraction about all kinds of games not about a specific game genre. But I'm not into it because I like developing games more than thinking about design. This course's homework is somewhat irrelevant of the course content.
创建者 Samuel I•
Great Instructor videos, bad assignments and peer grading system.
"Is the file submitted as PDF? Rate from 1 to 5" everyone puts 1 as my score even if I submitted it as PDF file, should be a yes or no question.
创建者 Robert M•
The quizzes were too short to be effective, and without requiring written feedback from peer review, the process doesn't seem very useful. The best information was from the articles and books he recommends.
创建者 Mitja C•
The course touched just the basics of game design principles. Everything was mostly theory based without any practical examples. I was expecting some kind of other approach of teaching this kind of topic.
创建者 Zhangir N•
The course is not particularly good, as in giving enough relevant information, but it does provide some important documents.
The forums are pretty much filled with people who are just asking for reviews.
创建者 David M•
Not as practical as the first course of this specialization, It would be nice if the videos showed images of the games when the professor is talking about them instead of the same three diagrams.
创建者 Tatiana K•
The content for reading is great, but in the videos the lecturer often spends a lot of time on things which seem a bit too general and vague. Although, may be idea development of a game is vague.
创建者 Scott T R•
This class started out very rocky and the videos had errors, the quizzes had problems, and the assignments had a poor grading system. Hopefully, these will be corrected in future offerings.
创建者 Seth L•
This was a very wordy course. Some times it felt like they just kept repeating and rambling, but I did learn the proper documentation for big games.
创建者 Steven S•
The learning material and videos are great, but the assignment system is unbalanced and subjective, leading up to unfair evaluation.
创建者 Tal B A•
It was good course however it was purely theoretical which I dislike. Would rather cources with actuall coding tutorials
创建者 Jaime R•
Content is interesting but the lectures and the content is far below the first course in the series in my opinion.
创建者 Nikolaos B•
Sometimes it was difficult to follow! but good overall
创建者 Iggy Z•
Pretty basic stuff, though it does spark a few ideas.
创建者 Alon A•
Wasnt all that helpfull, very optimistic though
创建者 Austin C•
Didn't learn as much as intro to game dev'.
创建者 Shalia W•
Interesting ideas but a bit disorganized.
创建者 shubham t•
not at much practical knowledge provided
创建者 Sumesh P•
This is less action and more theory.
创建者 mahmoud o a s•
no more practical assignment
创建者 Lewis H•
Quizzes need redone
创建者 Lucas Y•
a little boring
创建者 Matheus G L•
I will review this course appointing its pros and cons.
- The instructor: he is a captivating person. It really seems that he like game development, he make jokes and try to make the course interesting. So, he’s personality is makes the course less boring.
- The course name: when I saw “design” in the course name and the icon of course page, I thought it would be related to graphic design, or history telling and so on. But no, the “design” means “project”. So I think a better name would be “Principles of Game Project”. Although, it might be just me who thought this way, because in my language design means something totally different.
- The course content: this course should be at the end of the specialization. It is too much abstract and, in some aspects, very obvious. I will not say it is completely useless, because it is not. It gives us a structured view of the stages of game design and its documentation, but I think it would be better if it was like a case study.
- The assignments: probably the worst part of the course. They very very complex, to be sincere, none of the assignments I reviewed were full, I gave max grades to many because I think the person tried really hard to make it. Imagine this situation: you are not a programmer, not a graphic designer, not a writer and with a week you need to make a prototype of the game idea you’ve been working on course. This prototype must show the game mechanics and aesthetics, should be playable… And can be non digital? Come on, we are here learning the concepts of developments digital games and the instructor says that we can make a non digital prototype? Some people did it, and I can say for sure that I couldn’t imagine the real game. I made a digital prototype using the knowledge acquired from the first course, but as you can imagine, it is not enough to make our game ideas come true.
- The peer review system: the grading is completely non sense, as I said before, the assignments are complex, so it is difficult to show our ideas clearly in a document, without the abilities to make concept arts or something. In 2 of the 4 assignments 2 of the 3 people gave me max grades and 1 gave me bad grades, and did not left any feedback! One of the assignments when I first submitted it I got 12/20. Then, when I resubmitted it, without changing a comma, I got 20/20. So I think this system must change, maybe the mentor should do it.
If you want to do all the specialization, ok, go and do this course. But, if this is not your objective, do not waste your time.