Aug 3, 2020
This course will provide all basic information of android and it will also help you to understand the fundamental of java which is used in android. It really help me to improve my skills in android.
Jun 27, 2018
Excellent !! As a beginner I found this course a major kick-start to building a strong base for my Android app skills. A lot of practice needed though, but these videos would keep me going well
创建者 Edwin V•
Oct 14, 2016
创建者 Fabián D C S•
Jul 9, 2020
创建者 Mohamed H M•
Aug 29, 2017
创建者 Sawan S•
Mar 17, 2019
创建者 Chirag S•
Nov 17, 2021
创建者 Chetan P•
Jul 19, 2021
创建者 Armand T D N•
Dec 20, 2020
创建者 GAUTHAM P S•
Mar 23, 2020
创建者 Lalith M•
Apr 2, 2019
创建者 SINGU S V T C•
Oct 11, 2018
创建者 Rajat P•
Apr 9, 2016
创建者 Patrick H•
May 21, 2016
Now that I have completed the course I'd like to give some feedback on how I think it was.
1. Quizzes are horrible. The fact we get no feedback on incorrect answers is not very helpful. There are only 3 quizzes where I missed just one question but no matter what, I can't get them correct. It would be helpful if there was some explanation why an answer your selected was wrong, a hint or something. Also while some of the quiz answers are obvious from watching the lessons, some are totally not and if someone doesn't have ANY programming experience I think they would find some questions almost impossible to answer. I have a programming background and out of all the quizzes I just missed 1 question on 3 of them, but I've been trying to answer them again, and again, and again and I just can't get them right. If there was feedback after taking a quiz I'm sure it would of helped. For those 3 quizzes, I took them so many times all the other answers are memorized and I just keep trying to get that one right. It's not helpful and then it turns into a "just keep selecting different things until it's right" thing instead of understanding it.
2. The course says it's for beginners to programming but I beg to differ. I think the way the material is presented and how the assignments are laid out I do not think someone(or not many people) would have gotten through that Week two ascii assignment. I thought they assignments in some cases were harder than the lessons. Maybe it's because they way they were explained in the lessons which brings me to #3
3. I do not think the instructors use the best/most clear examples to present the material to students. There are many easier examples to teach about looping than showing an Ascii art example. Because not only does the student have to grasp the concept of loops, then also have to think about ascii print logic. I think to someone with no experience would get pretty lost pretty quickly in this course. Some of the things explained in the lessons I would actually look up other videos of other people explaining it to get a clearer picture.
4. Some material is not consistent. Like in some assignments the text is wrong, for the Account code example, you never really mention the mOut or the interface the class uses which are in the example files and what to do with them when you write the other constructors (The course goes over this later when talking about the constructors and calling a constructor from another constructor but not that early on when you're working with the Account example files
5. It seems this course really isn't fully developed yet and is still going through it's growing pains
Overall, I would say there are many other courses that are far better at teaching the basics of Java. For me, since I do have some Java experience and a programming background it wasn't too bad, But I'm thinking of the guy who has never touched a line of code before. I just don't think the course does a good enough job at explaining things to someone like that.
I really hope the next courses in the specialization are better organized than this because starting with the next course because the next ones are more important to me than this course was only because of my prior background
创建者 Yulim L•
Nov 10, 2020
Make sure you meet the deadlines for peer review, this course does not let you "re-enroll" to the next session and thus you may end up not completing the course before it ends.
As well, this course is ok for learning Java and ONLY BASIC JAVA, it is terrible at teaching how to create apps!
If you are truly new to coding, or even just to creating apps or more complex code, I do not recommend this certification (i.e. the next 4 courses) at all. It is NOT BEGINNER FREINDLY, there is no longer any support from profs, and it is very out of date. If, like me, you only know enough code to just barely program sensor or do MatLab, you will struggle.
If you are a beginner or even just unfamiliar with Android Development, I suggest you learn from free tutorials online instead. If you want the certificate, I strongly suggest you take additional time to learn from other sources along with what is provided - in fact, I say skip the "optional assignments" and make mini test apps from other tutorials. You will also need to learn new classes, libraries and framework such as Room, Retrofit, RxJava, Hilt. Other components you should learn, since these courses will not cover, are any UI components (EditText, layouts, creating images, buttons, menus, etc), fragments, the MVVM pattern, etc.
tldr: don't take this certification expecting them to teach you all you need to know to create a simple app, or even pass their capstone without significant effort on your own part to learn elsewhere.
创建者 Ronie M•
Feb 2, 2020
Good course but the peer review is not.
Checking the submissions should not be OFFLOADED to the students.
Code review (peer review) is a good way to collaborate and find issues but it will not work on a MOOC. Why?
(1) We are not a team, we are individuals who study by ourselves and we have different timelines. One individual might finish the course in one week, others might be in a month. This is the reason why we see a lot of posts on the discussions asking for code review.
(2) A lot of people here are just beginners which results to subjective reviews. Good reviews come from those with experience (should be the instructors).
(3) Plagiarism - it hurts my eyes seeing duplicated works.
创建者 Rajesh R•
Nov 18, 2018
The contents you will learn in this lesson is JAVA Core mostly. I had a JAVA Functional Programming experience which didn't let this level trouble me a lot but if you are completely new, and taking this course, be ready to find out good quality time with these modules. Sometimes, I felt that the course should give 10 days for one segment instead of a week but although you can reset your deadlines.
The course did not in detail focused on Data Structures which is also a key component in JAVA and Android if you think of robust apps. Also, there can be few more assignment added to each week for practice.
It has been a good journey with all the support and care from Coursera!
创建者 Andrew O•
Jul 8, 2019
In my opinion, the lectures talk a little bit too much about "what" they are going to teach you, rather than actually teaching you. I had to skip the parts of the videos where they were talking incessantly, so I could actually learn the syntax and how to apply the code. Also, this class is kind of old, and the material seems to have been reused several times. Other than that, it's a generally informative course for those wishing to learn basic java.
创建者 Ethan R•
Jun 21, 2018
The content is generally expressed and you must have previous knowledge of programming.also one of the teachers teaches artificial and unacceptable and he is not fluent in how to explain the content. His name is Michael Walker. they And also all of the teachers just represent the title and they do not deeply involve in discussions. At first they say you only need 4-5 hours in a week to do everything but you practically need 18 hours per week.
创建者 Stefan S•
May 8, 2016
Good course in general but it could use more exercises and solutions for those exercises. It could be a great course in future
Also, sometimes it's confusing like you are asked to download code and write it along with the video but the files already (at least partially) contain the code that you should write and it looks quite different from the video.
创建者 Hunter G•
Apr 13, 2017
It provides me with exercises to practice but some of the videos explain things awfully or just not at all. Others are good. The discussion boards are helpful. I just wish they didn't talk as much about what something is as opposed to how it works. Many videos often don't show any code or very little which makes understand syntax difficult.
创建者 Carolina A•
May 23, 2018
The course content good, but I take 2 stars away because it is wrong to say it is for beginners and people who are new to coding/programming.
It has taken me a significant amount of time and effort to provide the assignments on time, the lessons and the material provided are not enough to solve the assignments.
创建者 Muhammed A Ç•
Sep 19, 2021
Lectures were pretty explanatory but coding assignment were irrelevant to real world problems. I am not saying that they are not helping to improve your algorithmic thinking. But because there is no goal in coding assignments relative to real world, I find it pretty boring and not encouraging
创建者 Ivan K•
May 18, 2016
The course is nice, lectures is fine.
But assignments is a bullshit. The instructions are uncertain, with typos. There is random number used, and you have to do magic with your algorithm in order to match expected output. I strongly dislike it.
创建者 shashank p•
May 26, 2020
it does have good explanations for topics but the assignments are kind of tough for beginners in programming. I had a lot of trouble on some assignments where I even had to ask others for advice and program which should not be the case.
创建者 Debaditya S•
Jul 4, 2019
The peer review assignment system is the worst....it demands 5 reviews and am still not able to fetch a single one......had to plead to so many unknown people in the discussion forums yet no response..............i hate this.
创建者 Scott W•
Aug 10, 2016
Its a solid java class that has almost 0 android learning. If you are expecting any kind of Android related learning. you will get none this is 100% a java class that just runs in the android environment.