Business Essentials for Managers
Master key business skills by earning your Professional Certificate in Business Essentials for Managers from Vanderbilt University
Earn Vanderbilt University’s Certificate in Business Essentials for Managers. When you complete this program, you will receive a certificate that is indistinguishable from those received on campus. This program also qualifies for CEUs (Continuous Education Units).
4 courses, each focused on a particular skill area with additional high touch services from faculty and industry leaders.
When you complete this Professional Certificate, you’ll be prepared to:
Strategic Innovation Toolkit for Working Professionals
Understand the forces that limit innovation, and identify and address barriers in your own business culture.
- Barriers to Innovation
- Fostering Creativity
- Managing an Innovation Portfolio
Accounting and Finance Toolkit for Working Professionals
Master theories, applications, and empirical research insights that will help you make smarter financial decisions for your organization.
- Measuring Asset Value
- Estimating Risk
- Cash Flow Forecasts
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
Operations Management and Strategy Toolkit for Working Professionals
Design and execute a business strategy, improve operations and processes, and measure results against your business goals.
- Strategic Planning and Implementation
- Identifying Competitive Advantage
- Aligning Functional and Corporate Strategies
- Optimizing Manufacturing and Service Processes, including Project Management Techniques
Leadership Toolkit for Working Professionals
Establish yourself in a leadership role, and align your actions and behaviors with how you want to be perceived.
- Foster good decision making
- Building Coalitions that work
- Managing yourself, teams and your organization
- Create and communicate a vision for workplace change
- Pre-recorded videos
- Online readings
- Practice exercises and quizzes
- Challenging hands-on projects
- Join live discussions with nationally ranked Vanderbilt University faculty
- Access career services support and career planning services
- Receive personal attention and feedback from industry leaders
- Use our Virtual 360* Tool for Personalized Feedback and Career Development Plan Creation
- Required: No required prerequisites
- Recommended: College or Associate degree.
Who is this Professional Certificate for?
Reading to start learning?
Enroll and start learning for your Professional Certificate.Enroll Now
Want to learn more?
Complete an interest form to receive additional details and updates.
More than 100 companies have been served by the Vanderbilt Executive Development Institute since its beginning in 1978, including FedEx, Bridgestone Americas, Cardinal Health, and Nissan. The training that inspired this Certificate helped these companies:
- Accelerate the development of their high potential leaders
- Generate and implement innovative ideas
- Improve financial performance
- Build corporate wide networks
About the University
Vanderbilt’s MBA programs are consistently ranked in the top 10% of accredited business schools by Bloomberg Businessweek, U.S. News & World Report, Financial Times, The Economist and Forbes. What makes our online Professional Certificate offering different than others you’ve seen is that we deliver management education on a personal scale—personal attention, paired with deeper understanding of your needs
Yes. Vanderbilt University is accredited by IACET to grant CEU’s. You will be entitled to claim 4 CEU’s by completing this certificate.
To succeed in this Professional Certificate, you should demonstrate that you have the ability and motivation to implement new knowledge in your workplace. A college degree is preferred, but not required.
Enrollments are accepted and approved on an ongoing basis; there’s no deadline to apply, and you can get started as soon as you’re admitted.
To complete the Professional Certificate, you need to:
- Submit a brief application. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis; there’s no deadline to apply, and you can get started as soon as you’re admitted.
- Successfully complete the four courses in the Professional Certificate. You’ll earn a shareable Coursera Course Certificate for each course.
- Pay the full price for the Professional Certificate. You may qualify for financial aid through a state program, or your employer may be able to reimburse you for some or all of the Professional Certificate cost.
No! Everything you need to complete the Professional Certificate is available online, and you can learn on your own schedule as long as you meet the weekly assignment deadlines. You may be invited to attend some live events or programs both online and offline, but these are optional.
No problem. This Professional Certificate is designed to be flexible. If you fall behind in a course, you can switch to the next session – and if you need a break between courses, you can join your next course in a later session.
You’ll need to pay for all four courses in the Professional Certificate. You can either make a one-time payment for the four-course Specialization, or pay for each course as you progress. To purchase the Specialization, visit the Specialization enrollment page.
This program does not qualify for Title IV or State aid.
You can earn a recognized Professional Certificate from Vanderbilt University, but you will not receive official academic credits.
If you have more questions, please contact us at Vanderbiltmgmt@coursera.org or at (832) 356-5224. We look forward to hearing from you!
If you’re not sure if the full Professional Certificate is right for you, you are welcome to audit the first course to learn more about the content and teaching style. The audit option includes access to all video lecture content, but does not include access to graded assignments. The following courses are not available in audit mode, and you will need to pay the enrollment fee to access those courses.
You can list the Professional Certificate as a “University Certificate in Management Fundamentals from the Executive Development Institute at Vanderbilt University.”